Saturday, July 17, 2010

Mattvan,

I hear what your saying. I agree that war is always about tragedy and human suffering. But its story is told by those who survive it, and not only survive but come out as victors.

God forbid Canada would have to go to another war. But really, from Kosovo to Iraq to Afghanistan, we have been called to stand up and do our damndest to do what is right. The places where we have failed haunt us. Like Rwanda for example. Where the need was realized, and called for a response we were not prepared for. Understand I am not saying we would use these fighters in Rwanda, I am speaking of the fact that there are times when projecting military force will save innocent lives.
I think many of us are somewhat discouraged about Afghanistan. It seems like tyranny has the upper hand, and we wonder if the country will be able to be a healthy sovereign entity. What we do know is that on Canada's watch, Al Quieda's training camps did not prosper there. And, our troops have made a significant difference. I am reminded that during the London Blitz, England had a scant hope of victory. Canada's part in turning that darkness into victory keeps me hopeful about Afghanistan.

So where will the next war be that would require these planes? I hope its never Iran & a terrorist nuke that precipitates the next one. I hope its not N Korea leveling Seoul in a few hours. I hope its only our modest presence in the far North that requires this sort of investment. I hope...

No comments:

Post a Comment