Thursday, June 23, 2011

Terrorism by the Numbers.

Sometimes statistics are so grim, it is a shame having to mention them. I made an off the cuff reference to Anne Coulter's comment: "All Muslims are not terrorists, but all Terrorists are Muslim." I thought it radical but also thought provoking. Through a debate I conceded that: "ALL" terrorists cannot possibly be Muslim extremists. It didn't make rational sense, there was the PPK, Sri Lanka, Hindu extremism and perhaps other kinds after all. So I said even if 95% were at the hand of Islamic terrorists it wasn't fair to say they all were. .
Because I had no hard data, my assertion was seen to be a twisted expression of hatred towards Muslims, even though I stressed the victims were innocent Muslims I and the world care about. One is not expressing hatred to Muslims, rather, you are expressing care and concern--because lets face it a suicide bomb in a market place, kills far more innocent Muslims than extremists.
I read many reactionary web sites, with perhaps dubious non-credible sources. Until I found a study published by the University of Chicago Dated June 1, 2011. So by way of publishing date it is about as up to date as possible  Because I have been accused of preaching hatred with sloppy statistics, here are statistics directly from Chicago University.  There may be a more accurate source in the world but I don't know it.
This data by CPOST can be found here: Combing through it was not enjoyable. But I wanted to make sure I displayed a modicum of veracity. It isn't fair to allude that the vast majority of deaths by terrorism were by Islamic Extremists without being able to provide the actual numbers.
http://cpost.uchicago.edu/

Some people have had trouble with the direct link.

Choose Suicide Attack Data Base.

I used these data base filters.
Data base filters: 2008,9; all weapon types except airline bombings,  all locations, no filter on group name.
 I think the rationale for these choices is rather obvious .
So this is what I found: Looking only at Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan, from 1/1/2008 to 12/30/2009, there were 6,112 deaths by extremists. There were 0 PPK (Turkey), 4 Algeria, 170 Somalia, and 89 in Sri Lanka, 0 from Hindu Bhuddist extremists. I discounted the million or so who died in Darfur. And for the sake of margin of error, counted the Algerian and Somalian data to be non-islamic
I use the term Muslim or Islamic only because of common convention:  For example, Ireland terroism is referred to as "Christian" or "Protestant/Catholic" (same thing) I would much rather have this study disprove the hypothesis that Islamic extremism was significant.
So to correct Anne Coulter, you are wrong Anne: Not **all** extremists are Islamic extremists, only 95.87% are.

1 comment: