Monday, October 31, 2011

Private insurance, vs. Public Welfare for those who truly need it.

I consider myself a conservative. I have always believed you pull your self up by your bootstraps. If you aren't getting by work harder. With diligence and hard work anyone can become wealthy.
Well the old saying: "you don't believe it until it happens to you" applies to me. I have a crippling disability. It was interesting to watch how the insurance companies worked diligently to extricate themselves from their long term disability responsibility. Fortunately, according to them, my disability disappeared after all their tests. I was as I was before the "tests". But they clearly wanted to clear the books of me. After the humiliating denigrating experience I had with them, I was glad to be rid of them. My long term disability lasted only one year. Now I am "fine", magically changed according to their definition of disability. If you aren't dead or dying, "insurance" is just a scam. 20 years of paying into the program of course, doesn't matter.
So after bankruptcy, and devastation, proudly watching my kids struggle through college on their own. (any idea what tuition is to go to an "Art Institute for 4 years?) I have seen my son homeless trying.
I survive day to day on CPP's stipend of under 900.00 per month, and am grateful for a public-not-private Canadian support system. I am ok with private medical care, we all have it, since our GPs almost always own their own clinics and diagnostic labs. But if the criterion for who gets what care is left to insurance companies, they will find my dead body on the steps of parliament. I hang on, I think we are going in the right direction. I would do anything to feel like I wasn't on the receiving end of this. I am not worth the excellence of care I have had at the hands of these public programs.
Thank You Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment