Monday, August 9, 2010

More Debate on Prisons

8/9/2010 2:12:08 PM
Soenso said, "If it were possible to give a child back her life under the circumstances you lay out, no matter what it cost it would be worth it"

"Don't you find it insulting in the face of your apparent experience that Mr. Clement talks about 'unreported crime' and seems unaware of the deeper, perhaps more legitimate, reasons and justifications for spending money on prisons? "
_____________________________


First of all thank you for taking the time for a thoughtful response. I appreciate that we can have an area of commonality on this question.

I suppose I am altruistic to some extent. I can't accept that these comments are not taken out of context to some extent. I may be wrong.

The reasons I shared with the bloggers here are the reasons we should build prisons--In My opinion.

I have had a bit of a smile cross my face on some of these posts: When it is suggested these prisons are for pot smokers and protesters. Having inhaled in my younger years, I recall the heights my paranoia could rise. (incidentally the major mental health risk with pot) But I don't think Canadian authorities are going to go after marijuana users. It is important to realize how incredibly over crowded the prisons are today. I wouldn't be surprised if after spending these billions, we could fill half those spaces to alleviate the overcrowding issue alone.

Canadians spend billions on the revolving door right now. The incredible pressure on the justice system, and on policing can't help but create enormous costs on tax payers.

So long as we budget for rehabilitation inputs in these new places, this could be very good for Canada.

Finally, forgive my crass view on politics.
One party comes to power for a while, then another. What's the probability the Conservatives will be in power in 5-7 years?

It will be the Liberals most likely given these shiny new keys. So the question is what will they do with them?

No comments:

Post a Comment