Friday, April 29, 2011

Mr. Harper is not Mr. Personality. He comes across stuffy, he's over-weight, he wears a toupee, and he was born with his eyes looking funny.

When it comes right down to running the country, how many of the above "qualities" have anything to do with it?

Considering the global melt-down of the past several years, Canada's success is next to miraculous. He has managed minority governments longer than any other PM. That was the hand he was dealt, and look how he handled it. Look how much under budget we came in last year... unreportedly 14Billion. We will retire this deficit on schedule.

In my view they have earned the right to a majority government. We gave him minorities because we were afraid of some secret agenda. We were told to fear it because the pundits, and the parties told us to.
He isn't scary. He's a pudgy hockey-dad with a stroke of political genius.
________________________

@apr27: You have a case of sour grapes. Your condescension, claiming greater intellect, reason, and superiority.

Some sort of omniscience would be required to have knowledge of the conversations and debate that happened around that table. Who knew what sort of concerns around democratic principles occurred?

So forgive me when I sound patronizing. The Globe has been endorsing in electoral races since the 1880s. Its what it does. It is clear you are upset, not because of their "craven drivel" but because simply they chose differently than you have. I probably would have too, but I would have admitted it. I come from a conservative point of view. I know that, yet I still try to understand the contentions of the other parties even though I might inevitably disagree with them. I have taken positions therefore that differ from the Conservative party. The digital rights medium legislation doesn't sit right with me, and I have no problem saying so. Surely people of any political persuasion give voice to differing opinion. Surely they aren't stuck on the talking points. Perhaps I am mistaken.

In reporting, there are several modes of writing an article. Investigative reporting is supposed to be neutral. The conclusion, a product of the facts. Editorials are not that!
To expect them to be a regurgitation of public opinion is a revolting thought. Any media has personalities writing editorials that reveal their bent. That is clear to see, but I still read opinion from the left. For me, I need to understand it, to see if I can compromise in some way. The G&M has done that, and I appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment