Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Tales from an Inuit elder...

Sarah Nangmalik

I know it must have been scary at the same time too, I know I would be:) Yes, some people up here take some amazing photos.
There was one man who traveled from Greenland to Canada on kayak (qayaq) high arctic and there was a group of narwhale taking turns two by two on each side of his kayak and lifted his kayak on both sides and carried him for many, many kilometers. Narwhales were friendly and curious and kept watching him until he landed. Our Inuit elders often say if a person falls in the water where there are whales nearby, a person will be carried to shore for safety by whales, I myself have not seen that yet in my life:) When I was a teenager and during my early twenties we lived in Nanisivik, a mining town 30 miles from a community of Arctic Bay. There was one elder who used to watch me jog very early mornings ( I was a marathon runner for several years back then and I ran alot for long distances) One day, he told me to go to the point near Arctic Bay and sit by the shore between 6:00 - 7:00am and listen to the narwhales sing. Now, he never shared that to anyone but me and that was truly my gift from him and every now and then I still go to the same area when I visit the community during late summer and listen to the narwhales sing, the sound they make is so beautiful:)

Owen Abrey
about a minute ago
Owen Abrey

You are an artist with your words... I think I can hear them too. [:)] You are blessed Sarah, as surely as Abraham's wife. I do pray God's richest for you in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment