Friday, January 6, 2012

A facebook/youtube on Castle Law.

A discussion around Castle Law in Cranbrook, BC.

Antoinette Louw

I can relate to your link. Been there, twice actually, in SA. Not something I'd say publicly on FB though. Never know how it can come back to haunt me again... Luckily I did not kill him. He ran away claiming that a mad woman was shooting at him. Had charges against me for firing a fire arm in a residential area. Then charges got dropped after the investigation. Six days later, 2 men showed up, broke the window, and I phoned the police letting them know that I'm going out with 2 pistols, since there are 2 of them. Told them to hurry, since I'll try to hold them as long as I can. They arrived 5 very long minutes later and arrested the idiots. Here in Canada you are not allowed to protect yourself like that. And now in SA, no more either!

Owen Abrey
32 minutes ago
Owen Abrey

We will see a castle law in Harper's second majority. It actually still exists under common law and the magna carta, because of its age and precedence it cannot be dismissed.

Antoinette Louw
29 minutes ago
Antoinette Louw

Sorry Owen, English being my second language, I don't understand your message.

I mean I can read it, but are not familiar with the terminology you used.

Owen Abrey
15 minutes ago
Owen Abrey

In the 13th century a revolutionary document was signed by the King of England. It was the first step towards democracy and human rights. It put all men under the rule of law, and guaranteed you could not be thrown in jail until it could be proved by law. It also had a provision for being able to defend one's castle by force. The document has evolved over the years, in the 1800s the castle law was used to give a person a right to protect one's home with a weapon. Society has many laws, but they are not supposed to conflict with common law. The power of common law brought about the Charter of rights and freedoms
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=magna+carta&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.
www.google.ca
Share

Antoinette Louw
7 minutes ago
Antoinette Louw

You would think that it would work like that, but in reality it doesn't. I recently read on CTV.ca about 2 instances where people shot at intruders while defending themselves and got charged and ended up being found guilty. It really scared me when I read it, because it seems the line for protecting yourself, and breaking the law is incredibly fine.

Owen Abrey
5 minutes ago
Owen Abrey

The problem is cases are not presented with appropriate precedence. Then poor judgements are made. The possibility for appeal is a heavy financial burden, so they get away with it.

Owen Abrey
3 minutes ago
Owen Abrey

It still exists in Canada. To be perfectly covered, they need to be in your house. You need to believe life and limb is threatened and you were defending your self/family. And my RCMP friends say make sure you shoot to kill. It shuts down the thief's testimony, so there can be no contradiction to your story.

Out side, you can fire a weapon in the air with impunity.

but you can't point it and shoot it at someone

Watch to see Harpers government pass legislation clarifying castle rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment